- Identifying issues early
Component degradation can be detected at an early stage, avoiding unplanned downtime and costly repairs.
- Complete, accurate EOW punch lists
Complete and accurate end-of-warranty punch lists are quickly established, based on our report.
- Improving maintenance
Our assessment allows operators to optimize maintenance and investment programmes.
GENERATOR INSPECTION SERVICES
- onsite inspection during periodic outages,
- onsite assessment as part of end-of-warranty inspections (EOW),
- inspections as part of failure root cause analysis (RCA).
We assess the risk of generator failure and whether corrective actions are needed, based on our findings.
We also assist operators during site acceptance tests (SATs) and in discussions with OEMs.
HOW IT WORKS
- Visual inspection—assessing general condition and identifying potential sources and causes of contamination.
- Identifying winding issues—DC winding resistance measurement and testing to reveal issues such as copper cracks or poor connections,
- Identifying insulation problems—measurements on low- and medium-voltage generators, including insulation resistance, polarization index, winding resistance and, in some cases, step high-voltage tests to identify issues and assess severity. We may also carry out advanced measurements, such as partial discharges, on medium-voltage generators.
- Endoscopic inspection—where access to the generator is good and inspection holes are available.
All inspections and measurements are carried out using a compact portable measuring toolset easily transported to the turbine nacelle, both on- and off-shore.
ASSESSING THE MACHINE’S HEALTH
To give an overall indication of generator winding and insulation health, we have also developed a health score, calculated from the results of electrical measurements. This allows operators to compare the condition of machines of identical design or serving the same function, and finetune the maintenance strategy of large wind turbine fleets.